I am committed to protecting public safety and increasing community health. In order to achieve this goal, I am committed to:
- Working to reduce crime and recidivism – this includes strengthening crime prevention strategies and offering effective diversion programs and alternatives to incarceration.
- Identifying and addressing chronic perpetrators – this includes interrupting repeated cycles of crime and offering services to address behavioral and mental health issues.
- Working to reduce the fear of crime –this includes sharing data to dispel fear-mongering and myths and to focus scarce resources on hot spots and chronic perpetrators.
- Serving victims and families with care and respect – this includes enhancing victim services to
- Reduce language barriers
- Promote better understanding of victims and communities
- Promote inclusivity and acceptance of cultural differences
- Offering culturally sensitive and effective services
- Offering early interventions closer to the time of harm
- Partnering with community based resources to increase capacity and cultural responsiveness
I am committed to improving communication and coordination with law enforcement by:
- Proactively sharing crime data and building new partnerships to improve information sharing;
- Building new partnerships to combat gun violence and more effectively interrupt low level offenses in order to reduce crime and incarceration;
- Providing additional officer training regarding case filing standards and criminal law updates;
I am committed to building new partnerships and innovations to:
- Connect individuals at risk of becoming perpetrators or victims of violence to social resources to shift behavior and to address trauma and other underlying health issues.
- Reduce substance abuse by working to increase access to treatment, both in the community and in our prisons and jail;
- Combat organized retail theft and improve communication with our business community.